|Go Back to the Facebook Help Index
Private/Restricted Facebook Ticker
NOTE: Everything you click LIKE on or you comment on is shared with all of your friends in their ticker. If you want to hide that activity from a friend, you would have to add that person to your RESTRICTED list. But there is no way to hide that activity from all of your friends with one setting, you would have to add all of your friends to your restricted list. To find your restricted list, go here https://www.facebook.com/bookmarks/lists and then click on "restricted". On the right side of the next page, there is a box where you can type a friend's name to add that person to the "restricted" list.
However, keep in mind that anyone you added to your "restricted" list will no longer be able to see any of your status updates either.
NOTE to PARENTS: This means that your kids can hide their facebook activity from you, even if you are on your kids' friend lists!
To show/hide your Facebook Ticker in the top right, look for this part and click it. Keep in mind tho that this only hides it from yourself - everyone else will still see your actions in their ticker.
Is this the problem?
• You post a status update, and you make sure to post it to "friends only" when you do, it shows up in your friends' newsfeed.
• One of your friends decides to "like" it, because it's fun to "like" something your friend is doing.
• When you friend "likes" it (or comments on it for that matter) it gets posted on HER ticker (that all of her friends can see, because that's counted as activity by your friend.)
• But in order for any of HER friends to be able to understand what she is commenting on or "liking", facebook shows them the whole status, including your original status update and comments left by other people you may not know.
• What has happened is that your friend has inadvertently shared something you thought was private between you and your friends list with people you dont know, and you are pissed.
What can you do about it?
Well, you can adjust some settings, but you will have to get your friends to do the same as well in order for it to work.
•Firstly, never use "PUBLIC" when you post unless you really dont care who sees it.
• Learn how to set up lists - selections of various people who fit into a particular niche
• Learn how to use those lists to control EXACTLY who sees what.
• MOST IMPORTANTLY - you have to convince your friends to do the same, which is the tricky part, as most people arent going to want to put a bunch of effort into something that doesnt benefit them in some way as well.
• You could even link them to this page so they understand why it's important to them to also do these things.
• If they dont want to do it, and you really care about your posts being as private as possible, first create a list called "dont share" and add that person to that list.
• Then once that list is all set up, set your status update "audience" to "custom" instead of "friends" or "public", and add the "dont share" list to the "restricted list" box (under custom). That way you arent sharing your status updates with the "friends of friends people" who you may not know.
• The downside is that you arent going to be able to share your status updates with those people anymore, because they wont change their settings too.